Even if you’re doing your best to keep your skin protected, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on moles or any suspicious lesions on the skin. Moles can be harmless or malignant. but it’s best to be safe and schedule an annual full-body skin check. If you’re concerned about potentially harmful moles, Levy Dermatology is here to help with your annual full-body skin check.
What Do I Look For?
The easiest way to remember what to look for is by remembering your ABCDEs. This handy little trick is a quick run-through of the self-exam you can use to identify potentially cancerous damage to your skin. Let’s look at what it stands for:
- Asymmetry – Benign moles should be pretty symmetrical, asymmetry may cause for some concern.
- Borders – Normal moles should have very distinct borders. If your mole is a little less defined than normal, consult a dermatologist.
- Colors – Moles can be many different colors but a very dark mole or an “ugly duckling” may need to be further examined
- Diameter – Keep an eye on any growth. Normal moles don’t usually exceed a 6mm radius, so check with your doctor if you have any abnormally large ones.
- Evolving – If your mole changes colors, sizes, or shapes, it may be an issue. Keep tabs on any changes and examine your skin regularly
Mohs Micrographic Surgery Consultations Available
This self-exam is a great tool to check moles, but it isn’t definitive. Sometimes a worrisome mole is perfectly harmless, but it’s best to be sure.
How Do I Get A Diagnosis?
If you think that you may have a mole that needs to be looked at, it’s best to be safe. Consult an experienced, qualified dermatologist for the best answer. Dr. Levy is a Mohs-certified surgeon, and can help you stay cancer-free by evaluating, and in some cases removing, problematic moles.
Dr Levy and his staff are wonderful! Could not have had better care with my Moh’s surgery.
Take the Next Step
To learn more about Mole Removal treatments, please schedule your consultation by either filling out the form on this page or by calling Levy Dermatology at (901) 624-3333. Levy Dermatology serves patients in the Memphis, Germantown & Collierville, TN areas.
*Individual results may vary.